Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day 1

I made it! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I called my very first lot today! It was an imaginary lot, but a lot nevertheless. As I walked up, Mike Jones took a few steps back. I am pretty sure my face betrayed me, and he was as confident as I was, that I was about to throw up every where. However, I followed his advice, took a deep breathe and began. I stumbled, I was slow, but I DID IT!

The most intriguing part of the day was the introductions. Every student took a turn and introduced themselves, told where they were from, described their family and explained why they were at Auction School. It was at this point, I felt like a traitor.

Over and over again, students explained how this had always been a dream, to be an auctioneer. Many explained how life was too short to be doing something they hated (being their jobs) for so many hours a day, and it was time to follow their dreams. Some are going to Auction School because it is a natural fit to their current occupations, but many are chasing a dream.

So why did I feel like a traitor? Because, I am not doing it for my dream, but rather to protect Brent's dream and protect something for our daughters' futures. I did imagine Brent all day, 11 years younger & 11 years more naive, stating he was chasing his dream. He recognized at such a young age that life was too short to do something you hated. Little did we know how hard it would be to start an auction company. There were blood, sweat and tears far more than most realize to chase this dream. Likewise, little did we know, the auction industry would lead us to such amazing places and such incredible people!

Then, my dinner was at a sushi bar & I sat reading Ernest Hemingway. My waitress came by, and began bearing her soul to me. (This honestly happens to me a lot!) Stephanie, my waitress, told me she was a Dance Major. I told her my biggest regret was quitting dance. She said she had considered a teaching degree, but dance was her passion and her dream. I told her to never give up on her dream!

When we are doing the thing that makes our hearts beat faster, the thing that makes us giddy with hope, and the thing that brings a huge smile to our face, it is never a waste of time. Sometimes our dreams get tweaked a bit down the road, but never forget or give up on your personal dream. Life is too short to settle for someone else's dream or to forget your dream all together.

Today was a great day! I went against my personal giant (bid calling) and held my own. I learned a great deal about why Brent does certain things that he does, and I met some incredible people. Before I say "Good Night", tell me what is your dream? I would love to know!

P.S. I can not say enough about how Mike & Lori Jones are raising the bar of expectations in the Auction Industry! They challenge each student over and over again to strive for excellence. By doing this, they are making the Auction Industry stronger for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment