Monday, November 7, 2011

A Newbie Who Has Been Here 10 Years

Welcome to our new blog! This area will discuss market trends, auction advice and overall insight from our industry. However, it will begin this week chronicling a new journey.

This is Ashley Graves writing, and this week I begin the adventure of going to Auction School. I have been in the auction industry, with Brent, for 11 years, but my role is behind the scenes. You have seen me in the auction trailer when you register. I am the one who prints your invoice at the end of the day. On occasion I clerk your bids, and on even fewer occasions I have been a ringperson. However, I have never called bids! So, why now?

I am protecting what Brent & I have built together. An individual cannot own an auction company in the state of Texas without an Auctioneer License. Therefore, if God forbid we lost Brent, I could not own the business we built. Well, that is completely unacceptable, so here I go to the Texas Auction Academy!

To say I am terrified is an understatement! However, Mike & Lori Jones of the Texas Auction Academy do things right. You receive a CD and a book to start practicing. So my girls and I have been working through the exercises for weeks now. I am still terrified, but at least have some time under my belt in the car.

Stay tuned, and I will let you know what Auction School is like; what you learn, what it feels like and how I progress. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment