Sunday, November 27, 2011

Estates and A New Prospective

I can not count the number of the estate auctions that Brent and I have done over the past 11 years. I have seen individuals cry as the auction began, and then cry again at the end with joy due to the high price. I have seen family members hate each other. I have seen other families walk with complete love for the belated and each other through the entire process.

This week, I saw the entire process through a different lens. My mother sold her home of 40 years to move into a one bedroom apartment. Suddenly, I was on the other side that so many of our clients are in. I was helping her down size and pack.

However, in the process, my brother and I were given a priceless gift. As we sorted through boxes and memories, I discovered china owned by my great, great grandmother, crystal owned by my great grandmother and a relish dish my Nanny used often. If we had waited until my mother was not fit physically or worst yet dead, I would never have known the stories. I would never know who had owned any of these pieces or the history there.

So many times families sort through the memories without a person to tell the story. We were given the stories and family heritage. What a priceless gift!

I came home with several items, including her china and crystal. Most importantly, I came home with more of my family's story. Please consider this experience with your own loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment