Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 4: Starting An Auction Business

Today was dedicated to the basics of starting an auction business. Scott Swenson came in, and offered very real advice. I really wanted him to be frank and honest about how hard it is to get started. He was very honest about the difficulties and the trials, but did not sound overly negative.

As he was teaching, I kept thinking back to 11 years ago. That was when Brent came to me saying he wanted to chase his dream of being an auctioneer. I had never even been at an auction, and my husband was telling me he wanted to walk away from a lucrative career to go into straight commission in an industry I knew nothing about. Oh! Did I mention our first child was due in just a few months too?

Many people do not know how hard it was to get this business going. Our closest friends and family watched the whole thing. Some had their doubts. Heck, at times Brent and I had our doubts! The hardest thing (second only to raising our girls) we have done was start this auction business. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it all over again? I am honestly not sure. But, it was the path we needed to take.

The Auction Industry has blessed in so many ways. We have made incredible friends. We travelled across America to conduct and work auctions. We have been able to have flexible schedules to be there for our girls. We have been able to work with some of the smartest and most creative people in the world. We have worked as a team towards a common goal.

I have often said that Brent's only possible mistress is named Auction, but she has been very good us. And with age, Brent has been better at not letting her have all of his time.

P.S. My chant is coming along nicely. I never dreamed I would consider calling an auction after this school, but now I think I may just be able to be a hand on the auction line. Who knows?

1 comment:

  1. I imagine you can have a "chance" to call the dessert auction in December!

    ReplyDelete