Sunday, November 20, 2011

Home Sweet Home...

What an amazing adventure these past 9 days have been! I still cannot believe I actually completed Auction School, called bids, performed as a bid spotter, and basically conquered several huge fears.

This final day began with our normal drills. Then, each of us did a final job of selling an imaginary item. After a quick review, we took our final exam. (which was not easy!) The final test was graded on a pass/fail basis, and of course, our entire class passed! The results were followed by Mike and Lori distributing our diplomas, class pictures and class rosters. Whew!

Brent took me to lunch to celebrate, and then we began our 5 1/2 hour drive home. All day long I have been close to tears. I still cannot believe I did it!

I have always admired Brent and his colleagues for their talent, but my appreciation goes much deeper now. Not only are auctioneers masterful salespeople, they master their art of breathing, tone and speed. In addition, they manage a team (bid spotters and clerks) with hundreds of people watching. Many of these professionals carry their talents passed bid calling to complete marketing, managing and accounting of their costumer's assets.

I have watched Brent comfort a group of sisters before their mother's estate was sold, and then watched them crying for joy because Brent got such a high price for her items. We watch some liquidate businesses and farms, others are settling estates and some are dissolving partnerships. In every instance, we get the honor of helping these individual's through difficult times and honor them with doing the best job possible for them.

A final note struck me, some auctioneers are in the business to feed their own egos and pocketbooks. Others are in this industry out of respect and passion for the Auction Method of Marketing. They desire to honor the industry with strong work ethics and strong morales. I pray Brent and I will always be the latter. Congratulations November Class of 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment